Monday, April 13, 2009

Finger Jello

This finger jello recipe is my absolute 'go-to' recipe for any potluck/party/get-together. I can't tell you where this recipe originates from, but it was passed onto me from my mom. I've looked in many 'Jell-O' recipe books and have never come across this exact recipe. I can tell you that this finger jello is always a hit at the parties. And it is SO easy to make.

What you'll need:
3 small (3oz.) boxes of Jell-O (any flavor, I usually use strawberry or raspberry)
4 envelopes of Knox Unflavored Gelatin
3 cups boiling water (notice my kettle on the stove-top...that was the only way I could think of to visualize boiling water!)
1 cup whipping cream

First, pour all of the jello and gelatin into a bowl:

Next, mix it all together (isn't this complicated?)
(if you're fortunate like me, you will have a 4 year old assistant to take care of the above step)


Next, get rid of the 4 year old assistant and add the 3 cups of boiling water yourself. You need to mix this carefully until there are NO crystals left. This will take a couple of minutes. Don't rush this step, just keep on mixing.

Next, add the 1 cup of whipping cream. Just pour it right in:

Then pour the mixture into a 9x13 pan (I find that a glass pan works best):
And you just have to let it sit. And sit. I usually leave it on the counter for an hour and then transfer it to the fridge (so I don't heat up the fridge with all the hot steam!). As the jello sets, it will start to separate and form 2 layers.

Once it is set, you can just cut it up into squares (which I usually do), or if it is a special occasion, I use cookie cutters to make shapes. I brought this finger jello to our Easter dinner yesterday, so I made these shapes:
Just keep on cutting out shapes, trying to stay as close together as possible so not to waste too much jello. You will be left with some scrapes, but my kids and hubby never have a problem eating them up.

The result:

This is what the jello looks like from the side-notice the layers.

I found this picture of a "flag" that I made a couple of summers ago for the 4th of July.
This is the same kind of finger jello, just without the whipping cream so it doesn't form layers. I actually make this finger jello more often. All you have to do is add 4 cups of boiling water instead of just 3, and omit the whipping cream.
Caitlin (2 1/2 years old) with the 4th of July Jello:

Level of Difficulty: This may just be the easiest thing to make ever. 1 out of 5 for difficulty.

Taste Test: 5 out of 5. Tasty, refreshing, and there are never any leftovers!!

2 comments:

Anonymous said...

Cute blog, Catherine! Keep those sweet ideas coming!

Rachael said...

I remember getting this recipe from you. It's SO easy and I love making it since it works like "magic." I use it quite often. Thanks again for a great recipe. Maybe I'll have to start a food blog. Hmmmm...we'll see.