Thursday, April 9, 2009

Blueberry Muffins

This past summer I received over 60 pounds of blueberries, which I froze and have been enjoying ever since. However, 60 pounds is a lot of blueberries so I am always on the look-out for recipes to use them. I came across this recipe for blueberry muffins in a recent issue of Family Circle.

What you'll need:
2 cups flour
3/4 cup sugar (plus a few tsps. for sprinkling on top of muffins)
3/4 tsp baking powder
1/2 tsp baking soda
1/2 tsp salt
1/2 cup milk
2 eggs
1/2 cup veg. oil
1 tsp. grated orange zest
1 cup fresh blueberries (I used frozen and they worked just fine)

Heat oven to 375, coat muffin pan with nonstick cooking spray. In a large bowl, whisk flour, sugar, baking powder, baking soda and salt. Make a well in the center. In a separate bowl, whisk together milk, eggs, oil and orange zest. Pour milk mixture into well in flour mixture:
Stir until combined. Fold in blueberries. Spoon batter into muffin pan and fill each cup about 3/4 full. Sprinkle each muffin with sugar:
Bake at 375 for 22-25 minutes, until lightly brown. Remove from pan and cool on wire rack. Makes a dozen.

Level of Difficulty: Super easy and quick! 2 out of 5 for difficulty (you do have to zest an orange:)
Taste Test: These muffins are good. My kids loved them, as did I. These may be my new favorite blueberry muffin recipe. 4 out of 5 for taste.

2 comments:

Anonymous said...

Hi I must say that the blueberry muffins tasted wonderful and easy to make. Love your assistant and test tasting group, they look like they love their job... Mom

Rachael said...

Wow, that's a LOT of blueberries. If I find any recipes that I've tried and that tasted good I'll pass it your way :)